Monday 12 January 2015

My first unlimited card...

Okay so I got a little giddy this weekend as I finally got to use my Cineworld Unlimited card... I strutted into the cinema, flashed them my card and cruised on into the film, without paying a penny (let's just ignore the monthly subscription fee coming out of my bank account). 

So the film I chose to see was Into The Woods, which apparently was originally an onstage musical (I actually didn't know that going in). It is set around various fairytails that have the characters interacting with one another all the way through the story and it is all tied together by a plot involving a childless baker and his wife on their quest to start a family. You will see childhood favourites such as Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Ridinghood, and of course Cinderella. 

Now as you've probably guessed from my review of Pitch Perfect I do love a good sing song, and this was no exception. However do not go expecting a ballad that replicates that of Frozens 'Let it Go' as the melodies are designed to follow natural speech rhythms or thought processes which aren't always so smooth. Luckly I took a musical theatre expert with me who was the one that explained this to me.

As for the performances, I always forget how well James Cordon (Childless Baker) can sing, and for those of you that have seen the film of Les Mis you will definitely recognise Jack (Daniel Huttlestone) as the young Gavroche who was shot in the middle of the revolution. Personally I found Chris Pine's (Prince Charming) performance somewhat lacking, I believe he came across more smarmy than charming and showed more charm as Captain Kirk in Startrek. Johnny Depp appears as the Wolf and everyone that knows the story of Little Red Ridinghood know just how short lived his character was. Meryl Streep gave a great performance as the Witch, a strong character throughout who is 'helping' the Baker and his wife on their quest. Lastly Anna Kendrick appears as Cinderella I felt her performance was good, except it mostly consisted of her running through the woods, away from the prince, so how hard is it really to get that wrong, I love her singing and admitably might have a little crush on her so it is understandable that my favourite song from the film has to be the duet between the Baker and Cinderella called No One is Alone.

The film itself I felt was a little long, it seemed it should end at the wedding with all the happy endings when in reality there was another 30 minutes to go. 

I would highly recommend the film to any musical theatre fans or Disney nuts out there like me as it is well worth going to see.

If you have any questions or would like my opinion in any other films please comment below... I don't bite!

I would also like to say that I'm new to blogging but have really enjoyed meeting all the bloggers that I've met so far and look forward to meeting more!!

Thank you for reading.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment